Strategies in Light had yet another successful year of conference and exhibition in Las Vegas two weeks ago. The conference started off with informative workshops and a captivating investor forum showcasing start-ups such as Orama, RayVio, LUXeXceL, LumaStream, Nordic Power Converters, Transphorm, Fusion Optix, Stack Lighting, QuarkStar, and ecoSpectral. The now established company, Cooledge, also reminisced on their first debut at SIL U.S. a few years ago and their journey to becoming a recognized company in the SSL Industry. Here are a few highlights from the show:
- Cisco, a worldwide leader in networking, presented their Power over Ethernet Lighting Controls solution
- Cree and Philips Lumileds went head to head regarding the CSP (chip scale package) integrated circuit package
- Strategies Unlimited Research Director and lighting analyst, Philip Smallwood, talked about the lamps market slowly capping and reaching its peak in the next few years
- Lighting and LED package analyst, Stephanie Pruitt, presented a modest growth for the LED package industry for the next forecast period with most activity happening in the lighting and automotive sphere
- Philips Lumileds was recognized as Illumineer of the Year at the Sapphire Awards
This year, SIL US added a new track, The Smart Lighting Controls track, to their conference to discuss new developments, practices, and innovations within this arena of lighting. It was interesting to see that the lighting controls space no longer belongs solely to lighting companies; semiconductor and network companies are now entering this space and realizing the potential in it. It seems that companies can no longer hide from lighting controls. Just as companies had to get used to LED lighting, they will now have to evolve to offer diverse options of lighting controls within their portfolio. The lighting control market is still working through the difficulties of interoperability and lacking standards, so now is a great time to influence the market. The graph below summarizes some of the types of lighting controls currently available.